[V8A] You're invited to the Beyond Banksters Book Tour

Patricia Cocksedge pcocksedge at telus.net
Sat Sep 23 10:23:12 CDT 2017

“Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive!”  That might well be the subtitle for Joyce Nelson’s book about the transformation of the publicly owned Bank of Canada that once worked for us to one of foreign economic domination that costs us, the taxpayers, billions in interest.  How does our Finance Minister, Bill Morneau, fit in to this?  Who is Mark Wiseman and what should we know about him and his new job?  What is the potential for Postal Banking?

 As Paul Hellyer, former Minister of National Defence, states:  “This well researched book sheds new light on what is really going on in the financial world, and anyone who cares about Canada would be well advised to read it.”  Joyce Nelson exposes the major players privatizing the world.  Iceland resisted and so can we.

You are urged to come and hear Joyce Nelson at the Public Library, Thursday September 28th at 2:00pm.  Look forward to seeing you there.

Trish

From: The Council of Canadians [mailto:inquiries at canadians.org]

You're invited to the Beyond Banksters Book Tour

  <https://aaf1a18515da0e792f78-c27fdabe952dfc357fe25ebf5c8897ee.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/1899/BeyondBankstersCover.jpg?v=1504206779000>

Next week, Council of Canadians chapters in British Columbia will be hosting stops for a seven-city book tour on the Pacific Coast. Author Joyce Nelson will be speaking about her book Beyond Banksters: Resisting the New Feudalism.

Joyce Nelson is an award-winning writer and researcher. In Beyond Banksters, she examines how corporations and private banks are working together to continue the privatization of public infrastructure and services. Politicians have supported this process through laws and regulations that benefit the global elite and their interests, while at the same time undermining the ability of people to challenge these trends. Neo-liberalism has normalized the idea that there is no alternative to the market, slashing regulations, the pursuit of profit and the enclosure of the public sphere. Nelson provides hope for resistance and highlights how people can challenge this “new feudalism.”

Please join us for this important event to understand the role that private banks play in our communities and their impact on our daily lives. The role of these banks is linked to the goals set out in international trade agreements, as well as neoliberal ideology that promotes corporate power while undermining the power of communities and their democratic rights.

EVENTS

The events below are organized by local chapters of the Council of Canadians and sponsored by the Watershed Sentinel.

Victoria
When: Monday, September 25 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: University of Victoria, David Turpin Building (DTB) A104 (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/BksFkL8Uha82> )
Co-sponsored by University of Victoria Social Justice Studies
For more info: barbaramp60 at gmail.com <mailto:barbaramp60 at gmail.com>

Duncan
When: Tuesday, September 26 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Mesachie Room, Island Savings Centre, 2687 James St. (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/hWgj3kosCEv> )
For more info: dcameron at seaside.net <mailto:dcameron at seaside.net>

Comox Valley
When: Wednesday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Stan Hagen Theatre, North Island College, 2300 Ryan Rd.
Courtenay (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/aWLLdRhefs52> )
For more info: cvcouncilofcanadians at gmail.com <mailto:cvcouncilofcanadians at gmail.com>

Powell River
When: Thursday, September 28 at 2:00 p.m.
Where: Powell River Public Library, Suite 100, 6975 Alberni St. (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/coC7dY9Hx1M2> )
For more info: pcocksedge at telus.net <mailto:pcocksedge at telus.net>

Richmond
When: Saturday, September 30 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Ralph Fisher Auditorium, Richmond Hospital
7000 Westminster Hwy (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/eeoveJijd7B2> )
For more info: lynnbea at gmail.com <mailto:lynnbea at gmail.com>

Chilliwack
When: Monday, October 2 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Sardis Library, 5819 Tyson Rd. (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/dqQu3BKtMdP2> )
For more info: chwkcouncilofcanadians at gmail.com <mailto:chwkcouncilofcanadians at gmail.com>

Kelowna
When: Tuesday, October 3 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: French Cultural Centre, 702 Bernard Ave. (Map <https://goo.gl/maps/xJC2wjury9n> )
For more info: kareneh at uniserve.com <mailto:kareneh at uniserve.com>

We hope you will join us for one of these events. Please be sure to bring a friend!

Harjap Grewal
Pacific Regional Organizer

  <https://aaf1a18515da0e792f78-c27fdabe952dfc357fe25ebf5c8897ee.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/1899/CofC-logo-tagline-300.jpg>

The Council of Canadians, 300-251 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON, K2P 1X3
1-888-566-3888 | bc-yukon at canadians.org <mailto:bc-yukon at canadians.org>  | http://canadians.org <http://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1051973&ea.campaigner.email=LMd6YGU5zf1aYNu2ck6J%2BMLMtSVFLyox&ea.campaigner.id=miJYI4Ao6dSZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>
Facebook Page <http://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1051974&ea.campaigner.email=LMd6YGU5zf1aYNu2ck6J%2BMLMtSVFLyox&ea.campaigner.id=miJYI4Ao6dSZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>  | @CouncilofCDNS <https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1051975&ea.campaigner.email=LMd6YGU5zf1aYNu2ck6J%2BMLMtSVFLyox&ea.campaigner.id=miJYI4Ao6dSZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>
Unsubscribe <https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1051976&ea.campaigner.email=LMd6YGU5zf1aYNu2ck6J%2BMLMtSVFLyox&ea.campaigner.id=miJYI4Ao6dSZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>  | Email preferences <https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=1051977&ea.campaigner.email=LMd6YGU5zf1aYNu2ck6J%2BMLMtSVFLyox&ea.campaigner.id=miJYI4Ao6dSZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>
View in browser  <https://www.e-activist.com/ea-campaign/action.handleViewInBrowser.do?ea.campaigner.email=LMd6YGU5zf1aYNu2ck6J%2BMLMtSVFLyox&broadcastId=187619&templateId=164614>

 <https://www.facebook.com/CouncilofCDNS>

 <https://twitter.com/CouncilofCDNs>

  <https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.open.do?ea.broadcast.id=187619&ea.campaigner.id=miJYI4Ao6dSZkArzVWMSmA==&ea.client.id=1899>